231 Front Street, Lahaina, HI 96761 info@givingpress.com 808.123.4567

Highbridge plans office park

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

TSA Carriers Propose Rate Hike to Stop Further Rate Erosion

first_imgContainer shipping lines in the U.S. export trade lane to Asia are recommending phased, across-the-board increases in freight rates, beginning October 1, 2015. According to member lines of the Transpacific Stabilization Agreement (TSA), the scheduled action reflects the trade’s recovery from congestion challenges earlier in the year; a strengthening market heading into what is typically the trade’s peak season; and an urgent need to halt damaging rate erosion.Effective October 1, member carriers in TSA’s Westbound section will be seeking to establish new target rates in all dry commodity segments that TSA described as modest increases in most cases, with higher proportionate increases for the most depressed rates. TSA-Westbound lines say they expect to follow with similar, gradual increases in November and December.“U.S.-Asia freight rates have fallen to historically low levels since the beginning of 2015 due to a strong dollar and unusually weak emerging market demand,” said TSA-Westbound executive administrator Brian Conrad.“Current westbound rate levels in many cases do not fully cover costs. At best, they make only a nominal contribution to a round-trip sailing, and barely compete for space aboard ship with empty repositioned containers needed in Asia. Worse, at a time when westbound equipment is already in short supply, depressed rates encourage migration of containers to other trades.”Industry analyst Alphaliner predicted the move as World Maritime News reported earlier, saying that although carriers would attempt another rates hike in September, any success would likely be short-lived as demand is expected to fall sharply in October, when China’s week-long National Day ‘Golden Week’ holidays will mark the end of the summer peak season.last_img read more

Whole Foods shareholders to get their say on Amazon deal

first_imgWhole Foods shareholders to get their say on Amazon deal Published: August 23, 2017 4:45 AM EDT Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. NEW YORK (AP) Whole Foods shareholders will vote on whether to bless a union with Amazon that the organic grocery chain’s CEO called “love at first sight.”Before agreeing to the $13.7 billion offer, Whole Foods had been under intense shareholder pressure to improve results and retain customers who have more choices about where to get natural foods.Approval from Whole Foods shareholders on Wednesday is one of the steps required to close the deal. The companies also need approval from government regulators.Amazon announced plans to buy Austin, Texas-based Whole Foods Market Inc. in June. The takeover would give the e-commerce giant more than 460 Whole Foods stores and the possibility of making big changes to the supermarket industry. Seattle-based Amazon.com Inc. has said it expects the deal to close this year. Related Articles:Amazon buying Whole Foods in bold move into brick and mortar Author: AP SHARElast_img read more

Fraud divorce case goes to Supreme Court

first_imgThe ex-wife of a businessman who claims her former husband cheated her out of millions in their divorce settlement has won the right to take her case to the Supreme Court.Alison Sharland, 46, has been given permission to appeal against the Court of Appeal’s decision to uphold the settlement despite finding that her ex-husband Charles had fraudulently misrepresented to her and the High Court the value of his company.Family and divorce lawyer Ros Bever (pictured) at national firm Irwin Mitchell is representing Mrs Sharland in the case that will be heard in June 2015. He said the Supreme Court will need to consider whether the original decision was unjust due to Mr Sharland’s dishonesty.The Sharlands divorced after 17 years of marriage. In the settlement that followed Mrs Sharland received £10.355m in cash and properties while her ex-husband got £5.64m.Mr Sharland would also retain a significantly larger proportion of the profit received on sale of the shares in his company that had been valued between £31.5m and £47.25m.Shortly afterwards, it emerged that the company might be worth significantly more, reportedly up to $1bn (£600m) and that, contrary to Mr Sharland’s evidence during the High Court hearing, an initial public offering was being prepared.Mrs Sharland sought to set aside the divorce settlement that had been approved by Sir Hugh Bennett in the High Court.Bennett accepted that Mr Sharland had knowingly concealed information and had lied to the court, but refused to set aside the agreement, stating that the court would not have made a substantially different order had the information been known.Two of the three Court of Appeal judges upheld the High Court’s decision. Lord Justice Briggs disagreed, stating that the husband’s fraud undermined the whole agreement and voicing concern that, as a matter of public policy, the court’s processes must be protected from fraud.Despite describing the husband’s ‘deliberate and dishonest’ non-disclosure as ‘deplorable’, the Court of Appeal ordered Mrs Sharland to pay her former husband’s appeal costs.Commenting on the case, Bever said: ‘Had this been a contract rather than a judicially approved agreement in proceedings ancillary to divorce, the principle that fraud unravels everything would have applied. We think that this is anomalous, unjust and sends out entirely the wrong message.‘Dishonesty in any legal proceedings should not be tolerated; the family court should not be an exception.’Mr Sharland’s solicitors, James Brown and Beth Wilkins at Manchester firm JMW, said: ‘With the Supreme Court due to consider the details of Mr and Mrs Sharland’s divorce, we feel that it would be inappropriate to prejudice those deliberations by taking relevant arguments to the media before they are presented to the court. The fact remains that the Court of Appeal upheld the High Court’s judgement that the agreement struck between Mr and Mrs Sharland was fair and had not caused her any loss.’The case is the latest in a long line of recent high-profile family law proceedings including the Radmacher pre-nups case and divorce proceedings including Michelle and Scott Young and Mr and Mrs Prest in Prest v Petrodel.last_img read more

Zimbabwe split

first_imgTHIS MONTH is due to see the Zimbabwe government take over responsibility for ownership and financing of rail infrastructure, with the implementation of the Railways Amendment Act 1997.The Act provides for the transfer of NRZ-owned infrastructure and land to the state, leaving National Railways of Zimbabwe to focus on its role as a train operator. Transport & Communications Minister Christopher Mushohwe said on July 6 that the change ’is aimed at lifting the burden on NRZ and to bring in more players like the Beitbridge Bulawayo Railway because NRZ must not be the only railway user in the country.’NRZ is to be restructured as a state-owned corporation, with a remit to operate commercially. The minister said all subsidies will be withdrawn, leaving the railway to become self-reliant. NRZ plans to set up four strategic business units covering freight and equipment, passenger services, infrastructure management and road services. These profit and cost centres are intended to ensure greater accountability and responsibility, the minister explained. nlast_img read more

Nîmes – Montpellier contract signed

first_imgFRANCE: The 25-year PPP contract covering financing and construction of the mixed-traffic high speed line bypassing Nîmes and Montpellier was formally signed on June 28, by Réseau Ferré de France President Hubert du Mesnil and Bouygues Construction President & CEO Yves Gabriel on behalf of the OC’VIA consortium.Bringing together Bouygues Construction, Colas, Spie Batignolles and Alstom with financing partners Meridiam Infrastructure and FIDEPPP, OC’VIA was selected as preferred bidder earlier this year. Under the final agreement, the consortium will contribute €1·5bn towards the estimated €2·3bn cost of the project, which involves 60 km of high speed line and 20 km of connecting routes. Up to 11 commercial banks are expected to lend €1bn to the promoters during the construction phase.Long-term funding worth around €840m will be provided by Caisse des Dépôts and the European Investment Bank to refinance 80% of the debts during the operations phase of the concession, benefiting from lower interest payments thanks to a guaranteed revenue stream from RFF. Public sector partners supporting the project include the EU, the French government, the region of Languedoc-Roussillon, the department of Gard and the cities of Nîmes and Montpellier.Preliminary work will start this year with full construction getting underway towards the end of 2013. The line is expected open with the December 2017 timetable change. According to RFF the project will generate around 6 000 direct jobs during the five-year construction period, of which 7% will be reserved to provide an entry to professional careers for ‘people with difficulties’.As well as shortening journey times for international and domestic inter-city passengers and enhancing the Mediterranean freight corridor linking eastern Spain with northern Europe, the bypass line is expected to release capacity on existing routes for a significant improvement of regional passenger services.last_img read more

Andrew Gillum Realizing the American Dream

first_imgAs a child growing up in Gainesville, Florida, Andrew Gillum, Mayor of Tallahassee, Florida, and Democratic Party candidate for Florida governor, had big dreams. His father was a construction worker and his mother a bus driver. The odds were stacked against Gillum from very early but that didn’t deter him from aspiring to lofty goals.Familiar with povertyGrowing up, Gillum, the fifth child of seven children knew first-hand what poverty is. This poverty nurtured strength of character and determination making it possible he could become the first black Governor of Florida.“I grew up in Richmond Hill in South Miami-Dade and attended High School in Gainesville. I know what it’s like to struggle. The  struggles that regular country people go through. I grew up in that,” Gillum told NW.He graduated from Gainesville High School in 1998. That year he was recognized by the Gainesville Sun as one Gainesville “Persons of the Year.” After graduation, he attended the Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) in Tallahassee.Early leadershipAt FAMU he served as President of the Student Government Association from 2001-2002. He was the first student member of FAMU Board of Trustees and Board member of the Black Youth Vote Coalition. That Coalition is a program of the National Coalition of Black Civic Participation in Washington, D.C..Even before completing his higher studies he decided to contend in representational politics in Tallahassee, Florida’s capital. Before graduating, he was the youngest person elected to the Tallahassee City Commission. After ten years as a commissioner, Gillum successfully campaigned, for Mayor of Tallahassee and was elected winning 76 percent of the vote in 2014.Gillum plans if elected GovernorAmbitious to advance to state governor, Gillum outlined some of his plans to improve the lives of Floridians if elected.Among his priorities is education, He’s determined to provide opportunities for high-school graduates who have it difficult to advance to university.“The students who are not college bound must not fall through the cracks. They need to get a shot at providing for their families and themselves. They must be able to acquire a skill or gain access to setting up small businesses,” he said.Gillum referred to incumbent Republican Governor Rick Scott as sleeping on the job.“We have a sleeper on the job as governor now. It all comes down to the fact that Rick Scott did not agree with the policies of President Barack Obama and he will do anything to wipe away his legacy,” he saidAttempts to “wipe away “Obama’s legacy were seen in the attempts to replace Obamacare, and in President Donald Trump’s decision to leave the Paris Climate Accord, Gillum said.“When I am Governor, I am going to expand Medicaid, and make it illegal for Floridians to be discriminated against because of pregnancy or pre-existing health conditions,” Gillum said, “Also, in Florida, we are impacted by climate change and should be a leader in green technology. Solar and green technology can provide employment across the state. We should be cashing in on it not backing away. We should be telling the world what to do about climate change.”Gillum also promised to protect immigrants who he said were integral to Florida’s economy. “I know the positive impact immigrants have had on the growth of this state.”Copyright 2017 – Caribbean National Weekly Newslast_img read more

Monsters Take Lead Early, Defeat Milwaukee 5-2

first_imgThe Cleveland Monsters traveled to Milwaukee to face the second-place Admirals in Central Division action Tuesday night. The Monsters would claim a 5-2 lead in what was a sixty-minute effort.The Monsters would be able to get off to a good start with a goal at the 14:55 mark from Justin Scott. The Scott goal would be the only goal of the frame, as Cleveland would lead 1-0 going into the second frame.Alex Broadhurst would extend the Monsters’ lead to two with a goal at the 10:50 mark. Pontus Åberg would cut the Cleveland lead in half with a goal at the 16:23 mark. With goals from Oliver Bjorkstrand and Shawn Szydlowski late in the second, Cleveland would lead 4-1 going into the final twenty minutes of play.Åberg would score once again for the Admirals to cut the lead to 4-2. The Monsters would close the door on a Milwaukee comeback with a score by Jordan Maletta, who scored an unassisted goal at the 8:15 mark.Cleveland is now 19-16-1-3 on the season and sits in fourth place in the Central Division. Related Topics Elijah Mooneyham has been a dedicated sports fan his whole life. Born and raised in Cleveland, he has his best days when his hometown teams are winning. Elijah is currently on-air talent/producer on two shows, The Main Event and The Moon Hour, where you can find on AllSportsCleveland.com. He also has an insane passion for professional wrestling, so catch his opinions on the world of professional wrestling.center_img Eli Mooneyhamlast_img read more

Indians and Mariners combine for 7 runs in 1st inning, Three Takeaways from Indians 4-3 Victory

first_img Payton Vince Payton Vince is either talking about sports or watching sports. He covers sports for Metro Networks and is also a writer for LastWordOnSports.com. He grew up in Brooklyn Heights,Ohio for most of his life then around senior year of high school moved to Cleveland. A fan of the Cleveland Indians, Cavaliers, and a Pittsburgh Steelers, he graduated from Cuyahoga Heights High School (Class of 2014) and also graduated from the Ohio Center for Broadcasting in 2015. He bowled and played baseball in high school, and is a huge fan of independent wrestling and WWE, and can almost always find him at an independent show. Lastly, Payton is a backstage interviewer for Mega Championship Wrestling in Elyria, and is one of the three on ‘That Sports Show’ which airs daily from 2-4pm on AllSportsCleveland.com. CLEVELAND, Ohio – On Saturday afternoon, the Cleveland Indians played the Seattle Mariners in their second game of a three-game weekend series. The Indians came into the game with a record of 12-10 and the Mariners came in with a record of 11-13.The Mariners took the first game of the three-game series with a 3-1 victory on Friday night.In the first inning of Saturday’s game, the Mariners and Indians combined for 7 runs in the first inning alone.The Indians came away with a 4-3 victory and improved to 13-10 on the season and the Mariners fell to 11-14.Here’s our three takeaways from the Indians 4-3 victory. Pages: 1 2 3 4 Related TopicsDanny SalazarJose RamirezLonnie Chisenhalllast_img read more

Why Mourinho sold me at Chelsea – Mata

first_imgManchester United midfielder, Juan Mata, has admitted that Jose Mourinho sold him at Chelsea in 2014 for “football reasons” and insists he has never had personal issues with the Portuguese.When it was confirmed that Mourinho was taking over from Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford, there were speculations that Mata would be sold again.Mata says he left Stamford Bridge amicably and never expected any issues when Mourinho arrived.He told the BBC’s Premier League Show: “You know, sometimes in life and football as well, changes comes. You have to embrace it.“When Jose came along, I wasn’t playing lots.“I had the chance to go to another great club and it was a good offer for Chelsea as well.”Pressed on whether he had fallen out with Mourinho, Mata added: “No, no. I think it was a football reason, style, something like this.“But no, we didn’t have a personal problem. We are working together now and it is fine.”last_img read more